25 Mar Future Oceans Lab
Future Oceans Lab
Sector: Fishing, Marine Ecosystem Services
Keywords: Adaptation, climate change, fisheries, social-ecological system
Research group working on solutions for adapting marine systems to the impacts expected from climate change. We apply a wide perspective from social and natural sciences to understand adaptation and work towards future oceans sustainability.
Lines of research:
- Understanding marine socio-ecological systems. We use the social-ecological systems approach to understand how systems react to climate change. We develop adaptation solutions based on the interconnections of ecological, social and institutional components of a system.
- Adapting fisheries management to climate change. Developing solutions for natural resource management under climate change with the use of bioeconomic modelling and game theory approaches.
- Evaluating institutional arrangements. Analysing the consequences of shifts in species distribution in institutional fisheries arrangements. Exploring the role of Marine Reserves, quotas, property rights and transboundary agreements.
- Climate Adaptation to shifting stocks- CLOCK (funded by ERC-StG)
- Engaging Mediterranean key actors in Ecosystem Approach to manage Marine Protected Areas to face Climate change-MPAengage (funded by InterregMed)