21 Aug INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY CARLOW-ENVIROCORE
Institute of technology Carlow-envirocore
Sector: environmental biotechnology
The institute of technology Carlow have a primordial activity move the investigation in relation with of strategion and education innovative enviroment biotechnology with a sustainable social development. Fully compostable thermoset bioplastic that uses as an ingreedient in its formulation by-products from the fish processing industry.
We have a wide range of research expertise including the following areas:
- Microbiological analysis – microbial identification, microbial ecology studies, Microbiome studies, phenotypic profiling, laboratory and medium scale (20L) production of microbial cultures.
- Genetic studies – gene detection and quantification, genome analysis, genotyping, gene expression studies, genetic engineering, genetic tagging, bioinformatics.
- Protein purification and analysis.
- Plant cultivation and growth analysis.
- Organic and inorganic chemical analysis of samples.
- Soil, water and plant analysis.
- Anaerobic digestion analysis.
- High through put microbial isolation and screening.
- Laboratory scale, greenhouse scale and field scale experiments/trials.
- Microscopy – microphotography.
- Environmental modelling.
- Tissue cell culture.
- Experimental design.
- Data collection, collation and Interpretation.
- Statistical analysis of data.
But in this momento the primordial line of investigation is marine based bioplastic: Using the fish processing by-product to generate a thermoset bioplastics with properties that allow it to us used as a packaging material not only helps fish processing plants to valorise their by-products but also help mitigate the problem of plastic polution in the ocean.
enviroCORE is a world class research centre in Sustainable Bioenvironmental Technologies in the niche areas of: Ecology and Biodiversity Studies, Phytotechnologies for Waste Treatment; Biomass Production and Plant Biotransformation; Environmental Sensors, Bio-indicators and Biosensors; Environmental Monitoring and Risk Assessment.